WELCOME TO THE RAPE OF THE VAULTS OF SOME NOTORIOUS RS COLLECTIONS! JUST FOR RECREATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY!

Thursday, July 12, 2012

(Get Their Licks In)



© Copyright Shepard Fairey/The Rolling Stones


The Rolling Stones commissioned graphic designer Shepard Fairey to update
their classic "Tongue and Lips" logo, to their 50th anniversary.

Fairey is well known as the designer of Obama's iconic "Hope" poster.
Fairey had also worked with Jagger and Dave Stewart on Superheavy project.
Fairey add a statement on his website: "When Mick Jagger reached out to me about designing a logo to mark the Rolling Stones’ 50th anniversary I was quite overwhelmed," (...) One of the first things I asked Mick was 'don’t you think the tongue HAS to be included?. He responded 'yeah I guess it ought to be'. Case closed. (...) I was very humbled and honored to be asked to work on the 50th logo so my objective was to service and showcase the Stones’ legacy rather than try to make my contribution dominant" (...) "I worked on this project as a fan knowing that the Stones’ tongue was the focus and the starting point. With that in mind I set out to integrate the 50 in a creative and memorable way," Fairey continues. "I think the solution speaks for itself in celebrating the Stones’ trademark icon and historical anniversary." Some notorious designers think it's certainly respectful of the tongue but, typographically-speaking, it's a mess, with five different types jostling for position, as the power of the original logo, is diminished rather than enhanced.


No comments:

Post a Comment